Published 28. Mar. 2023
How C-levels are Networking in 2023
As the saying goes, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” With so many changes hitting the business landscape in the last three years, we see the shift towards new ways of networking among C-level executives where an increasing number of top managers prefer virtual and hybrid formats of consuming content and building new connections.
1. THROUGH INSIGHT-GENERATING WEBINARS
As in-person events became impossible in early 2020, we saw C-level executives massively turn to webinars and various forms of online events. Today, CxOs still enjoy the benefits of online video content. For example, members of Aurora Live Executive Business Network find the virtual insights sessions useful with an average rating of 4/5. Some of the functions that make webinars appealing are:
- The possibility to join from anywhere, anytime, or watch the recording later.
- The chat function to make instant connections with a larger audience than a typical in-person event would allow.
- The option to engage with speakers through live Q&A sessions, and upvote the most interesting questions from the audience making sure only the most interesting topics are covered.
2. JOINING VIRTUAL BRAINSTORMING SESSIONS
The need to exchange insights with a circle of peers hasn’t decreased, and the virtual spin-off on panel discussions, round tables, and moderated group discussions have gained massive popularity due to their efficiency and convenience. Also, studies show that 40% of executives network more online than in person as there’s less pressure and more flexibility (Fit Small Business). According to our data, 80% of C-level executives find moderated peer-to-peer discussions useful.
Jumping into a quick moderated discussion in between work meetings allows you to:
- Quickly and efficiently connect with peers from different industries and countries.
- Exchange ideas, experiences, and solutions on pressing topics affecting your industry in the time it takes to finish your morning coffee.
3. ATTENDING VIRTUAL INSPIRATIONAL & GROWTH KEYNOTES
Today’s CxOs are prioritizing personal development as much as professional growth. Not only do they want to gain new skills but develop new mindsets to become better leaders. Therefore, many C-levels find joining inspirational keynotes by world-renowned speakers valuable, especially in the hybrid world because:
- It’s convenient and more accessible as more talks are hosted online.
- They can connect with other attendees who share the same challenges.
- Our data shows that 400 CxOs attended our event featuring inspiring talks from Duncan Wardle and Mel Robbins and gave a speaker rating of 4.9/5.
4. CONNECTING VIA IN-PERSON GATHERINGS AND ACTIVITIES
Although virtual networking elements have many advantages, CxOs prefer to socialize with their peers in person. Studies also show that 97% of attendees prefer in-person meetings of below 10 people (Forbes). Networking in non-business settings has gained popularity among C-levels such as wine tastings, cooking classes, and fine dining. Social get-togethers present:
- Opportunities to form a closer bond with your peers over a shared interest or hobby.
- A fun way to strengthen and maintain business relationships.
5. MEETING VIRTUALLY WITH POTENTIAL VENDORS
Another innovation introduced by the pandemic is virtual sales meetings. Here’s why they’re here to stay:
- Many CxOs prefer initial meetings with solution providers to be online as it helps them swiftly identify if the solution offered has any relevance to their business.
- 85% of C-levels are more eager to join a 30-minute virtual meeting rather than an in-person meeting (LinkedIn).